Recently, 11 soldiers at Fort Bliss base in Texas were sent to the hospital for treatment after they felt unwell during a field training. A spokesman for the base confirmed on the 29th that the 11 soldiers drank antifreeze, which they mistook for alcoholic drinks.
According to the Star Spangled Banner and USA today, Payne, a public affairs officer of the first armored division and Fort Bliss, said that the soldiers appeared ill at the last day of the 10 day exercise. Initial reports showed that the soldiers mistook antifreeze for alcohol. &”What actually happened on the day that soldiers took this substance is under investigation,” Penn said, adding that military personnel are not allowed to drink alcohol during training or on duty. These soldiers belong to the 11th antiaircraft artillery brigade.
On the afternoon of the 28th, the soldiers were sent to the hospital because of illness. More than 24 hours after the incident, two people are still in intensive care unit (ICU) due to serious illness, but up to four soldiers are expected to be discharged from the hospital on the evening of 29. Scully, the hospital’s deputy commander in charge of medical services, said antifreeze, also known as ethylene glycol, was dangerous even in small amounts. It can lead to immediate renal failure and organ failure in large doses. Other symptoms include nausea, excitement and confusion.
The New York Times pointed out that recently, the Fort Bliss base has suffered a series of unfortunate incidents, including several deaths in recent weeks. At the beginning of this year, a soldier was found dead in a military camp. She had just reported being sexually assaulted a few months ago. A few weeks later, a soldier was found dead at home. Two other soldiers were killed in a traffic accident this month.